Welcome!

This site is dedicated to topics I find interesting. I hope you find them interesting as well.

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Overkill


If you are old enough to remember 1983, and the release of Men At Work's album, "Cargo", then you're probably familiar with the song, "Overkill".

I was watching 'Scrubs' a few years ago and Colin Hay, former lead singer for Men At Work, did a cameo on the show; singing an acoustic version of this song. If you haven't heard it, click here. It's in a word...beautiful.

I can't say I was a HUGE fan of Men At Work in the 1980's. I did like their songs, and I'm pretty sure there are a few on them on my mix tapes from high school. But this episode of Scrubs woke me up to the importance this song has in dealing with difficulties in life. And in the last 6 months, with moving, buying a house, starting a new job, I have to say this song written by Hay has helped me tremendously.

I'd like to share the first part of the lyrics of Hay's song here, and just comment on a few of the stanzas that I found quite helpful...

OVERKILL Lyrics by Colin Hay

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications

Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright

Perhaps its just my imagination

Day after day it reappears

Night after night my heartbeat, shows the fear

Ghosts appear and fade away

Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation

It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation

At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation

It nullifies the night

From overkill...

The line where he says "It's time to walk the streets" and "Smell the desperation" was particularly poignant for me. I took from these phrases that in the midst of a difficult anxiety prone situation that you find yourself, to take a break from it, go for a walk outside and see that the rest of the world is experiencing probably the same if not worse stressors.

This may seem overly simplistic, but listening to this song over and over again (yes, I realize the irony that by playing "Overkill" repeatedly, I am literally making the song overkill), helped me to push past some difficult stages in the move out to California, and the stresses on our family with my new job.

Am I completely cured of the 'Ghosts' that 'appear and fade away'? No. Probably a bit early for that Mission Accomplished pronouncement. But, the 'ghosts' do appear less, and they tend to obey me when I tell them to "come back another day", as Colin Hay emphatically commands in his song.

To Colin Hay, I really appreciate you writing this song in 1983. Twenty seven years later, the reverberations are still resonating with a very grateful husband and father in California.

Also to my dear friend, Rob, thank you for directing my attention to some of Colin Hay's newer music. I'll be writing about that next. Your friendship means the world to me.

Thanks for stopping by,
Drew